Bappi Lahiri is an Indian singer, composer, and music director who has made significant contributions to the Indian music industry. He was born on November 27, 1952, in Kolkata, India, and was named Alokesh Lahiri by his parents. He is popularly known as the “Disco King” of India for his contribution to the disco genre in Indian music.
|Full Name||Alokesh Bappi Lahiri|
|Nickname(s)||Bappi Daa, Disco King of India|
|Profession(s)||Singer and Music Composer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 163 cm
in meters– 1.63 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 80 kg
in pounds– 176 lbs
|Debut||The film, Bengali (Music Composer): Daadu (1974)
The film, Hindi (Music Composer): Nanha Shikari (1973)
|Date of Birth||27 November 1952 (Thursday)|
|Birthplace||Sirajganj, Bangladesh (now Jalpaiguri, West Bengal)|
|Date of Death||16 February 2022|
|Place of Death||CritiCare Hospital, Mumbai|
|Age (at the time of death)||69 Years|
|Death Cause||OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) |
|Hometown||Sirajganj, Bangladesh (now Jalpaiguri, West Bengal)|
|Caste||Barendra Brahmins of Sandilya Gotra |
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||24 January 1977 (Monday)|
|Children||Son– Bappa Lahiri (Music Director)
Daughter– Rema Lahiri (Singer)
|Parents||Father– Aparesh Lahiri (Singer)
Mother– Bansari Lahiri (Singer and Classical Dancer)
|Singer(s)||Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar|
|Salary/Fees (approx.)||Rs. 8-10 lakhs per song (USD 3 million) |
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 20 crores (USD 3 million) |
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bappi Lahiri
- Lahiri’s father, Aparesh Lahiri, was a famous Bengali singer and composer, and he played a significant role in shaping Lahiri’s musical career.
- Lahiri is known for his love of gold and is often seen wearing gold chains, rings, and other jewelry. He even composed a song called “Tamma Tamma Loge” that featured the lyrics, “Jhumka gira re, Bareilly ke bazaar mein, Tamma tamma loge, Tamma tamma loge, Tamma tamma loge, Tamma tamma loge.”
- Lahiri was one of the first Indian musicians to experiment with electronic music and synthesizers, which helped him create a unique sound that was ahead of its time.
- He has composed music for several international films, including the Chinese film “Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons” in 2013.
- Lahiri has also worked with several international artists, including Boy George, Akon, and Snoop Dogg.
- He has been a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), one of India’s major political parties, and has actively campaigned for the party in various elections.
- Lahiri is also an avid collector of vinyl records, and he has a vast collection of rare and vintage records from around the world.
- Lahiri has received several awards for his work in the music industry, including the National Film Award, Filmfare Award, and IIFA Awards.
- He has also been a judge on several reality shows, including “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa,” “Indian Idol,” and “Dance India Dance.”
- Lahiri has been involved in several charitable causes, including the fight against HIV/AIDS and the promotion of education for underprivileged children.