Dhirubhai Ambani was a visionary entrepreneur who rose from humble beginnings to become one of India’s most prominent business magnates. With his indomitable spirit, Ambani revolutionized the Indian corporate world and paved the way for a new era of entrepreneurship. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at his life, including his age, death, wife, children, family, and biography, as well as some of his most notable achievements.
Who was Dhirubhai Ambani?
Dhirubhai Ambani was born on December 28, 1932, in a small village in the state of Gujarat, India. Despite his modest background, Ambani had a natural talent for business, and he quickly rose through the ranks to become one of India’s most successful entrepreneurs. He was the founder of Reliance Industries, one of India’s largest conglomerates, and was widely regarded as a pioneer of the Indian corporate world.
|Full Name||Dhirajlal Hirachand Ambani|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 80 kg
in Pounds- 176 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Date of Birth||28 December 1932|
|Place of Birth||Chorvad, Gujarat, India|
|Date of Death||6 July 2002|
|Place of Death||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Cause of Death||Stroke|
|Age (at the time of death)||69 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Capricorn|
|School||Bahadur Kanji High School, Junagadh, Gujarat|
|Educational Qualifications||10th standard|
|Awards/Achievements||• In 1998, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania awarded him “Dean’s Medal.”
• In 2000, FICCI named him the “Man of 20th Century.”
• In 2016, Government of India awarded him Padma Vibhushan (posthumously).
|Family||Father– Hirachand Gordhanbhai Ambani (school teacher)
Brother– Ramaniklal Ambani, Natwarlal
Sisters– Trilochana Ben, Jasumatiben
|Caste||Vaishya (Gujarati Modh Bania)|
|Controversies||He was often criticized for manipulating bureaucrats, media houses and politicians.|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1955|
|Children||Sons– Mukesh Ambani, Anil Ambani
Daughters– Nina Kothari, Dipti Salgaocar
|Net Worth (approx.)||$2.9 billion (as in 2002)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dhirubhai Ambani
- Did Dhirubhai Ambani smoke?: No
- Did Dhirubhai Ambani drink alcohol?: No
- He was born in a Modh Family to Jamnaben and Hirachand Gordhanbhai at Chorwad in Junagadh city and was the 2nd son of his parents.
- His father was a school teacher.
- He started his entrepreneurial career by selling chaat-pakoda to pilgrims in Mount Girnar.
- He left his studies after the 10th standard.
- At the age of 16 in the year 1955, he moved to Aden, Yemen to join his elder brother- Ramniklal who was working there at that time.
- His 1st job in Aden was that of a gas-station-attendant.
- While in Aden, he also worked with A. Besse & Co (Antonin Besse) for a salary of 300 INRs.
- When he came back to Mumbai from Aden in the year 1957, he had only 500 INRs in his pocket.
- In 1960, he co-founded a company- Reliance Commercial Corporation with his brother- Champaklal Damani. The main business of Reliance Commercial Corporation was to export spices and to import polyester yarn.
- He set up his 1st office at the Narsinathan Street in Masjid Bunder, Mumbai. It was a 350 square
- e feet room with a telephone, 2 tables and 3 chairs.
- In 1965, the partnership of Dhirubhai and Champaklal Damani was ended and Dhirubhai decided to continue the polyester business of the firm.
- In 1966, he renamed the company as Reliance Textiles Industries Pvt. Limited and established a synthetic fabric mill at Naroda in Gujarat in the same year.
- In 1968, Dhirubhai expanded the company’s business to textiles with a brand name- Vimal.
- He issued his company’s 1st Initial Public Offering in 1977 which was over-subscribed by 7 times.
- In 1985, he renamed the company from Reliance Textiles Industries Pvt. Limited to Reliance Industries Limited.
- In 1986, he suffered a stroke, which had paralyzed his right hand. He handed over the control of Reliance to his sons Mukesh and Anil Ambani in the same year.
- In 1991-92, he commissioned Hazira Petrochemical Plant in Surat district of Gujarat.
- In 1996, Reliance Industries became India’s 1st private sector company to be rated by International Credit Rating Agencies.
- In 1998, an unauthorized biography of Dhirubhai Ambani with the title- The Polyester Prince was published by Hamish McDonald but he couldn’t sell the book in India because of the legal threat by the Ambanis.
- On 24 June 2002, he suffered a major stroke and was admitted to the Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai.
- After being in a coma for more than a week, he died on 6 July 2002.
- A Hindi film- Guru was released on 12 January 2007, which was based on the life of Dhirubhai Ambani.
Dhirubhai Ambani was a true legend who changed the face of Indian business and paved the way for a new era of entrepreneurship. With his unwavering determination, entrepreneurial spirit, and innovative approach to business, he left a lasting legacy that continues to inspire business leaders around the world.