Randeep Surjewala is an Indian politician and a member of the Indian National Congress (INC) party. He was born on 3 June 1967 in Haryana, India. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce and a degree in Law.
Surjewala began his political career as a member of the Indian Youth Congress and later became the General Secretary of the Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee. He was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) from the Kaithal constituency in Haryana in 2005 and again in 2009.
|Full Name||Randeep Singh Surjewala|
|Famous For||Being the spokesperson of the Indian National Congress (INC)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 178 cm
in meters– 1.78 m
in feet inches– 5’ 10”
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||• Randeep joined the Congress Party when he was a teenager and he used to work with his father to rebuild the Congress in Haryana.
• In April 1986, Randeep was appointed as the Joint Secretary of the Haryana Youth Congress and eventually as the General Secretary of the Haryana Youth Congress.
• In 1993, he contested his first election in the by-elections of the Haryana Assembly from the Narwana Assembly Constituency, but he lost.
• In 1996, he contested the Haryana Assembly Elections against the then Chief Minister of Haryana, Om Prakash Chautala, and won.
• In 2000, he contested the Assembly Elections from Narwana and won.
• In March 2000, he was appointed as the National President of the Indian Youth Congress.
• In August 2004, he was appointed as the Secretary of the All India Congress Committee (AICC).
• In December 2004, a couple of months before the Haryana Assembly elections, he was appointed as the working president of the Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC).
• In 2005, he was elected as an MLA from the Narwana Assembly Elections of Haryana against the sitting Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala.
• In March 2005, Surjewala became the youngest cabinet minister in the Haryana Government headed by Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
• In September 2007, he was appointed as the Minister of Power, PWD, and Parliamentary Affairs in Haryana.
• In 2009, he was elected as an MLA from the newly formed Kaithal Assembly Constituency; following delimitation.
• In November 2009, he was made the Cabinet Minister in the Haryana Government for Water Supply & Sanitation, Parliamentary Affairs, Electronics & Information, Science & Technology, and Public Works Department.
• In 2014, he was re-elected as an MLA from Kaithal, Haryana.
• In January 2019, Surjewala contested the Haryana Assembly by-election from the Jind Assembly Constituency, but he lost to BJP’s Krishan Lal Middha.
• He contested the 2019 Haryana Assembly Elections from the Kaithal Assembly seat, but he lost to BJP’s Leela Ram.
|Date of Birth||3 June 1967 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2019)||52 Years|
|School||• Adarsh Baal Mandir High School, Narwana, Haryana
• Arya Senior Secondary School, Narwana, Haryana
|College/University||• DAV College, Chandigarh
• Panjab University, Chandigarh
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) from DAV College, Chandigarh in 1981
• Bachelor of Laws from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 1985
• Post Graduation in Political Science from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 1995
|Food Habit||Vegetarian |
|Address||Kothi No. 48, Sector 2, Chandigarh|
|Hobbies||Listening to Ghazals and Poetry, Trekking, and Camping|
|Controversies||• In October 2012, when a Dalit girl from Hisar got raped, her father committed suicide after a video of her getting raped was circulated on social media. The girl stated that her father worked at Randeep Surjewala’s house as a gardener, but neither Surjewala talked to the family nor he visited them. She told the media that had Surjewala taken cognizance of the incident, the police would have worked more efficiently. However, Surjewala did not take any action.
• In February 2016, during a press conference, Randeep addressed the 2001 Parliament Attack convict “Afzal Guru” as “Afzal Guru Ji”. The clip of Surjewala addressing him as “Afzal Guru Ji” went viral and he had to issue an apology after he was questioned as to why he was addressing a terrorist with so much respect.
• In February 2019, after the terror attack in Pulwama, Surjewala tweeted that “Pakistan had committed more than 5000 ceasefire violations, where is Narendra Modi’s 56-inch chest now?” He faced a lot of backlash at his tweet, people from all factions of society stated that instead of mourning the CRPF soldiers, Congress is politicizing the terror attack.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||26 December 1991|
• Arjun (Elder)
|Parents||Father– Chaudhary Shamsher Singh Surjewala (Politician)
Mother– Vidya Surjewala (Homemaker)
• Madhu Dalal (Elder)
• Poonam Chaudhary (Elder)
• Neeru (Elder; Deceased)
|Assets/Properties (as of 2019)||• Cash: 76,000 INR
• Bank Deposits: 66.95 lacs INR
• Agricultural Land: worth 17.50 lacs INR in Narwana, Haryana
• Commercial Buildings: worth 1.63 crores INR
• Residential Building: worth 18 lacs INR in Chandigarh
|Salary (approx.)||1 lac INR + other allowances (as a Haryana MLA)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||4.39 crores INR (as of 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Randeep Surjewala
- Surjewala comes from a political family. His father, Shamsher Singh Surjewala, was a prominent politician in Haryana and served as a minister in the state government.
- Surjewala is known for his interest in literature and poetry. He is fluent in Hindi, English, and Haryanvi, and has written several articles and poems on political and social issues.
- Surjewala is a keen sports enthusiast and has represented his school and college in various sports events. He is particularly fond of cricket and is a passionate supporter of the Indian cricket team.
- Surjewala has been involved in several social initiatives, including campaigns for the empowerment of women and the protection of the environment.
- Surjewala is known for his friendly and approachable personality. He is widely respected for his humility and down-to-earth nature.
- Surjewala is a tech-savvy politician and has been involved in several initiatives to use technology for the betterment of society. He has advocated for the use of social media and other digital platforms for political campaigns and public awareness programs.
- Surjewala is married and has two children. His wife, Aarti, is a lawyer and social activist.
- Surjewala has been involved in several high-profile legal cases as a lawyer before entering politics. He is known for his expertise in constitutional law and has argued cases in various courts in India.
- Surjewala is a frequent traveler and has visited several countries across the world. He is known for his interest in learning about different cultures and societies.
- Surjewala is a strong believer in the power of democracy and has often spoken about the need for people to participate actively in the political process. He has advocated for greater transparency and accountability in governance and has emphasized the importance of citizen participation in shaping public policies.