Sonia Gandhi is a prominent political figure in India, widely known for her contributions to the Indian National Congress. Her story is one of resilience, courage, and determination. This article will delve into her life, exploring her personal and professional accomplishments, and providing insights into her journey.
|Real Name||Edvige Antonia Albina Màino|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)|
|Political Journey||• Three Years Courses in Foreign Languages (English & French) in 1964 at Istituto Santa Teresa via Santa Teresa, 10 Turin|
• Certificate in English from Lennox Cook School, Cambridge in 1965
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm|
in meters- 1.63 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 4”
|Eye Colour||Hazel Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Blood Group||B (-ve)|
|Date of Birth||9 December 1946|
|Age (as of 2021)||75 Years|
|Birthplace||Lusiana, Veneto, Italy|
|Hometown||Lusiana, Italy (she has been living in New Delhi, since her marriage)|
|School||Attended a Catholic School in Orbassano, a town near Turin, Italy|
|College/University||• Istituto Santa Teresa via Santa Teresa, 10 Turin, Italy|
• Lennox Cook School, Cambridge
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Three Years of Courses in Foreign Languages (English & French) in 1964 at Istituto Santa Teresa via Santa Teresa, 10 Turin|
• Certificate in English from Lennox Cook School, Cambridge in 1965
|Family||Father– Stefano Maino|
Mother– Paola Maino (she passed away at her home in Italy on 27 August 2022) 
Sisters– Anushka (elder), Nadia (younger)
|Hobbies||Traveling, Reading, Cooking, Yoga, Interest in Modern Art|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||25 February 1968|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Franco Luison (Italian footballer, she allegedly dated him in the 60s; before she met Rajiv Gandhi)|
|Husband||Boys, Affairs, and More|
|Children||Son– Rahul Gandhi (Indian member of Parliament)|
Daughter– Priyanka Gandhi (Indian Politician)
|Car||Nil (as per her affidavit filed in the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections)|
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Assets/Properties||Bank Deposits: Rs. 16.59 Lakh|
Bonds & Shares: Rs. 2.75 Crore
Gold Jewellery: 1267.30 gm Gold Worth Rs. 24 Lakh
Silver Jewellery: 88 kg Silver worth Rs. 35 Lakh
Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 7.29 Crore (a 3 bigha land in village Deramandi, New Delhi & a 12 bigha land in Village Sultanpur, Mehrauli, New Delhi)
Residential Building: Share in the inherited property in Italy (value not given)
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 11.82 Crore (as of 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sonia Gandhi
Sonia Gandhi is one of the most prominent political figures in India. She has been the President of the Indian National Congress, one of the country’s leading political parties, for over two decades. Despite her long and illustrious political career, there are several lesser-known facts about Sonia Gandhi that many people may not be aware of. In this article, we will explore some of these facts.
- Sonia Gandhi was born in Italy
- Sonia Gandhi was born Edvige Antonia Albina Maino on December 9, 1946, in a small town called Lusiana in Italy. She was born into a Roman Catholic family and spent her early years in Italy before moving to the United Kingdom to study.
- Sonia Gandhi is multilingual
- Sonia Gandhi is fluent in several languages, including English, Italian, Hindi, and Punjabi. Her proficiency in different languages has helped her connect with people from diverse backgrounds and regions.
- Sonia Gandhi was a waitress in London
- While studying in London, Sonia Gandhi worked as a waitress at a restaurant called Varsity. It was there that she met Rajiv Gandhi, who would later become her husband.
- Sonia Gandhi was initially reluctant to join politics
- After the assassination of her husband, Rajiv Gandhi, in 1991, Sonia Gandhi was initially reluctant to join politics. However, she was persuaded by senior Congress leaders to take an active role in the party, and she eventually became its President in 1998.
- Sonia Gandhi has declined several offers to become Prime Minister
- Despite being the President of the Congress Party, Sonia Gandhi has declined several offers to become the Prime Minister of India. In 2004, she led the Congress Party to a victory in the General Elections, but she chose not to become the Prime Minister and instead nominated Dr. Manmohan Singh for the position.
- Sonia Gandhi is an accomplished artist
- Sonia Gandhi is an accomplished artist and has held several exhibitions of her paintings in India and abroad. Her paintings are known for their bold and vibrant colors and their intricate detailing.
- Sonia Gandhi has authored a book
- In 2004, Sonia Gandhi authored a book called “Two Alone, Two Together,” which chronicles her life with Rajiv Gandhi. The book provides a glimpse into their personal lives and the struggles they faced as a couple in the public eye.
Read also – Roya Faryabi Age, Husband, Family, Biography & More
Sonia Gandhi’s journey is a remarkable one. From being a young Italian girl to becoming one of the most influential political leaders in India, her life is a testament to the power of hard work, determination, and resilience. Her legacy will continue to inspire generations to come.
When was Sonia Gandhi born?
Sonia Gandhi was born on December 9, 1946.
Who is Sonia Gandhi’s husband?
Sonia Gandhi’s husband was Rajiv Gandhi, former Indian Prime Minister.
How many children does Sonia Gandhi have?
Sonia Gandhi has two children, Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi.
What is Sonia Gandhi known for?
Sonia Gandhi is known for her contributions to the Congress Party, philanthropy, and social work.
What awards has Sonia Gandhi received?
Sonia Gandhi has received several national and international awards, including the Grand Cross of Order of Civil Merit and the Order of King Leopold.
What is Sonia Gandhi’s legacy?
Sonia Gandhi’s legacy is one of resilience, determination, and leadership, which has helped the Congress Party overcome several challenges and emerge as a strong political force.
What are some of the controversies surrounding Sonia Gandhi?
Some of the controversies surrounding Sonia Gandhi include her foreign origin and her association with the National Advisory Council.
What is Sonia Gandhi’s personal life like?
Sonia Gandhi is known for her simplicity and unassuming demeanor. She enjoys spending time with her family and is an avid reader.
How has Sonia Gandhi contributed to women’s empowerment in India?
Sonia Gandhi has been a staunch advocate of women’s rights and has worked towards empowering women across the country through several initiatives.
What is the significance of Sonia Gandhi’s leadership in Indian politics?
Sonia Gandhi’s leadership in Indian politics has been instrumental in keeping the Congress Party relevant and influential in the country’s political landscape. Her ability to unite various factions within the party has been crucial in ensuring its success.