She is an officer of the Indian Army, holding the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. She serves the Signals Corps. At a reasonably young age, she has scripted history
|Real Name||Sophia Qureshi|
|Famous For||Being the first woman officer to lead an Indian Army contingent at a multi-national military exercise in 2016|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet inches– 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 65 kg
in pounds– 145 lbs
|Unit||Corps of Signals of the Indian Army|
|Date of Birth||1981|
|Age (as in 2018)||37 Years|
|Birthplace||Vadodara, Gujarat, India|
|Hometown||Vadodara, Gujarat, India|
|Educational Qualification||Masters in Bio-Chemistry|
|Hobbies||Shooting, Travelling, Trekking, Reading|
|Boys, Affairs, and More|
|Husband/Spouse||Major Tajuddin Qureshi (Army Personnel)|
|Children||Son– Sameer Qureshi
|Parents||Father– Name Not Known (Retired Army Officer)
Mother– Name Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sophia Qureshi
- Her grandfather was in Army and her father too served in Army for a few years as a religious teacher. She is also married to an Army officer from Mechanised Infantry.
- She passed out to join the Army as a Lieutenant from Officers Training Academy, Chennai in the year 1999.
- In 2006, she went on United Nations Peacekeeping Operation in Congo and is said to have served the organization for more than 6 years.
- During the Operation Parakram on the Punjab border, she rendered her service selflessly for which she was awarded a commendation card by the GOC- in- C (General Officer Commanding in Chief).
- During the flood relief operation in North East, her commendable work in communication got her an SO- in- C (Signal Officer in Chief) commendation card.
- She has also been awarded Force Commander appreciation for her devotion and dedication towards her work.
- In the annals of the history of Indian Army, Sophia became the first lady officer to lead an Indian Army contingent at a multi-national military exercise in 2016.
- She led the contingent in the military exercise, ‘Exercise Force 18’, which was apparently the biggest foreign military exercise hosted by India.
- She was the only lady officer out of 17 other contingents which participated in the exercise.
- Indian contingent played a crucial role in the training part of the exercise with other troops in the Peacekeeping Operations (PKOs) and Humanitarian Mine Action (HMA.)
- Sophia got selected amongst the other peacekeeping trainers to lead this contingent. and the exercise was held in at the Aundh Military Station, Pune. Countries like Australia, Japan, Korea, China, Russia, New Zealand, the US, and the members of ASEAN participated in the exercise.
- Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Bipin Rawat, quoted in an interview, “In the Army, we believe in equal opportunity and equal responsibility. In the Army, there is no difference between male and female officers. She has been picked not because she is a woman but as she has the abilities and leadership qualities to shoulder the responsibility.”
- Here’s a conversation between Sophia Qureshi and her counterparts from Army.